The Todoist service is a functional and flexible project management software. It is equally well suited for organizing personal affairs and managing complex team workflows. We talk about the key features of Todoist, the principles of its use, and its integration with other services.
What is Todoist?
Todoist is a project management software that helps you manage and organize various aspects of your life. You can manage your personal tasks and work-related obligations with this software. It has various features that help manage daily, weekly, or monthly obligations easily and efficiently.
Todoist lets you store tasks by grouping them by due date and project. Your business is always in the palm of your hand. You understand what needs to be done now and what in a certain future, which planned tasks you managed to complete and which ones you didn’t. If you manage a team, you can delegate tasks to subordinates and monitor their progress.
Advanced task sorting, different task display modes, built-in integrations, recent activity tracking, and many other features are available in Todoist. If service analogs offer a comparable list of functions, they lag behind in terms of their implementation. After all, the rich features of Todoist are packed into a very simple interface that is easy to learn and use. And this is true for all major platforms: in addition to the web, the Todoist app is available on Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux.
This article will help you quickly understand the main features of Todoist and understand whether it is right for you or not.
Specifications of Todoist
- Project management software
- Ideal for freelancers, individuals, and small businesses
- Available in multiple languages
- Live chat support
Tasks in Todoist
Task display. The service supports two task display modes: “Lists” and “Boards.” You can switch between them at any time using the Display menu.
Lists mode shows tasks in a classic list format. If it turns out to be too long, it can be divided into sections for convenience.
The Boards mode is relatively new to Todoist and is similar to kanban boards in the spirit of another popular service, Trello. This more visual view is well suited for visualizing multi-step workflows. On the board, cases are displayed in columns. Each such column reflects one of the stages of task readiness. For example, “To be done,” “In progress,” “Done,” and so on.
Basic actions with tasks. The service allows you to schedule, edit, mark completed, comment, and delete added tasks. You can also set up reminders for tasks, assign an executor, and indicate a priority – the degree of importance. All these operations are available through the context menu of the task.
Subtasks. Todoist also supports subtasks. You can think of them as the steps to complete standard tasks. To add a subtask, you can click on the parent task and use the corresponding button.
Filters and labels in Todoist
There’s another tab in the sidebar of Todoist called Filters and Labels, which is worth discussing separately. Here, the user can access two powerful tools designed to sort tasks by various parameters. With their help, you can quickly find the right cases, regardless of the number of added tasks.
- Filters. This tool allows you to sort cases by artist, priority, due date, creation date, projects, and other parameters. You can create and configure a filter using the “+” button.
- Tags. This option sorts tasks by keywords. To add a new label to the general list, you need to use the “+” button. To mark a specific task with this label, you need to click on it and use the button with the icon in the form of a tag.
Todoist gives you the power to effectively manage your teamwork. The manager can open access to selected projects for his employees, assign executors for tasks and monitor progress. All team members can comment on tasks and attach various work files.
Integration With Other Services
Todoist can be extended with built-in modules to integrate with other applications. Each allows you to connect a specific service to Todoist and set up their automatic interaction. For example, you can integrate the project manager with Google Calendar so that scheduled tasks automatically appear in the latter.
- Reasonable pricing and free plan
- Easy-to-use interface
- You can work offline
- Custom to-do lists
- Smooth communication and collaboration
- You can easily share files and delegate task
- Good for progress tracking
- History overview to help you note tangible progres
- Smooth synchronization across multiple platforms
- Limited features on the free version
- No micro-scheduling or time tracking functionality
- Compatibility issues in certain instances
- Multiple ads in the premium version
If you are interested in Todoist, you can download its applications and use them, just like the web version, for free. But in this case, there will be restrictions. You cannot create more than 5 projects and connect more than 5 employees. Uploaded files must not exceed 5 MB, and the log does not show activities older than one week. Also, you won’t be able to use reminders.
Two premium plans are at your service if these limits do not suit you. The $3/month Pro plan expands the limits to 300 projects and 25 employees per project. The user has access to reminders, 150 filters, the ability to upload files up to 100 MB, and other additional features.
The “Business” tariff completely removes restrictions and offers functions for teamwork. Its cost is $5 per user per month.
Conclusion: The Best Project Management Software
- With Todoist, managing projects or individual tasks becomes a streamlined process without unnecessary headaches. You understand what needs to be done now and what in a certain future, which planned tasks you managed to complete and which ones you didn’t. Everything is very clear and intuitive.
- Todoist lets you store tasks by grouping them by due date and project. You can schedule, edit, mark completed, comment, and delete added tasks. You can also set up reminders for tasks, assign an executor for them, and specify a priority.
- Todoist automatically groups added tasks by due date and project. You can switch between groups using the tabs in the sidebar.
- Whatever the total number of added tasks, you can quickly find the things you need using the Filters and Tags section.
- Todoist gives you the power to effectively manage your teamwork. The manager can open access to selected projects for his employees, assign executors for tasks and monitor progress.
- The project manager can be extended through integration with other applications. You can connect them using the modules built into Todoist.